Thursday, October 1, 2009

Postcard Friendship Friday

I thought you might like a peek at three cards from my collection. These were part of a lot I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago.

The first two cards are marked Aus dem Schwarzwald. Th. Busam & Co., Stuttgatt.

Ein braves Weib-ein herzig Kind. I think the translation is A good woman-a sweet child.

If you look closely, you might agree with me that the girl on the first card looks similar to the children on the second card. I wonder who took these photos and when. Maybe a traveling photographer wandered into their village one day and offered these children a coin to pose for him...maybe they were professional models brought to this country village to take off their shoes, don authentic outfits of the region and to pose for pictures looking as comfortable in the setting as if they'd been born there.

Anything is possible because after all these years they are only faces on a postcard. I don't suppose anyone remembers them. They can be whoever I imagine them to be.

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!

18 comments:

  1. The first girl has an interesting tote or basket. I especially like the style of the last one. I wonder how cold it had to be before the children wore shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those braids wrapped around their heads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful vintage photographs. I too wonder who they are and where they are going...
    Schwarzwald means "The Black Forest" and it is a beautiful part of southern Germany, breathtaking nature.;) But perhaps you knew that.;)
    Have a wonderful Friday too.;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing to look at any of those antique images and think of the lives that were lived. Just imagine them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are very charming. i've started looking at the cards in the shops too

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true....and so much fun as well.
    :-)
    Great postcards!

    Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely!
    Have a wonderful weekend ~~

    xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great find. I think "Ein braves Weib- ein herzig Kind" is from and old song. It's very strange to see German children with bare feet. My grandmother would have had a fit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something so endearing and facinating about old postcards and photos...I'm always guessing about the stories that go with them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your postcards are much better, but maybe I'm partial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love their folkloric outfits and hair. Reminds me of Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely postcards, and I do see the resemblence. I am always intrigued by these old postcards, wondering about the people behind those sometimes exquisite faces.

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely images .. and such sweet children. Imagine children walking to school or the store barefoot during these times? Their parents would be charged with child abuse! Times have certainly changed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are so sweet !!

    My father-in-law barefoot during his morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so sweet !!

    My father-in-law barefoot during his morning walk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's nice to see the children smiling - seems to happen so rarely in vintage photos. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The third postcard is really different from the first two. I prefer those: the smiling children seem to be the real thing; and the photo of the third, Heimat postcard must be taken in a studio. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."