Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We Are A Nation Of Many Voices

This week in addition to thinking about the meaning of Veteran's Day, I've been reflecting on our recent election and all that it entails for our nation. As Americans, we sometimes agree and we sometimes don't. The important thing is that we can have a free and unrestricted dialogue with one another. A measure of our national stability is our ability to engage in public discourse with civility and kindness. Freedom of speech is the most important freedom that we are guaranteed in the Constitution.

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."
-Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the United States

Like I said...just thinking.

11 comments:

  1. And that is what I loved about this election. When it was over, the speeches for both sides were unifying and gracious. I would like to think we are entering a new era, one where, once again, doing the kind thing matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words by Mr. Truman.

    I've seen some very gracious blog posts and comments the last few days and also some very mean spirited ones. I hope that we can truly become a united states now and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Profound words from Pres. Harry S. Truman. I wish someone more like him was in the White House. ♥ ∞

    ReplyDelete
  4. i enjoy it when you're "just thinking". i do a lot of that as well. cool photos and no truer words ever spoken than these by harry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Keep thinking. More of us Americans need to do that more often.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post! Good to hear what you are thinking about - because I am too. I hope this next four years is more about what we need and not about here's what you get.

    Except your electric meter made me twitchy - our bills are going up 25% in January. This was about "here's what we get."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep on thinking, and keep on speaking. Ain't nothing going to get in the way of that in America!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A profound and touching post! Excellent photograph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you posted this, because if we can't discuss things as Americans, we won't stay united for long. Oddly enough what got me thinking about it was "Hotel Rwanda" which I just recently watched. We can't get hating each other just for different opinions, we can all learn from each other if we keep the respect front and center.Otherwise it can get really ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so very true ...What a wonderful post...

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."