Monday, November 10, 2008

Period Piece Anyone?

If anyone hasn't seen this BBC series, I would like to recommend it to you. The setting is Victorian London circa 1895. Eleanor Bramwell, a doctor who as you can imagine, is not easily accepted by her male peers. The series follows Eleanor in her pursuit of her dream to practice medicine. A building is donated by a wealthy patron and 'the Thrift' is created as an infirmary for the poor and indigent people of London. Eleanor's character is played by Jemma Redgrave of the famous family acting dynasty. Her father, who is also a doctor, is played by David Calder, who in my opinion could be the Dr. McDreamy of the post 50 set.
Bramwell (1995)

I'm quite taken with this series. So if you are looking for something new to add to your already over stuffed Netflix queue, please give both doctors Bramwell a go.

10 comments:

  1. Is there any "shoot'n and kill'n" in it? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen this. I love period pieces done by the British.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love period pieces. There was an A and E special on Queen Victoria a few years back that I thought was good. At least I think it was on A and E! This series sounds like an English version of Dr. Quinn.
    Am I they only one who doesn't have Netflix account?
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fun! I'll have to check it out! I LOVE your new header. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strider, there are some 'shots' administered.

    Lavinia, you'd like this one I think.

    Denise, I saw that A&E on Victoria. It was good. The idea for Dr Quinn is the same as far as a woman doctor in a time when it wasn't done.

    Thank you Blicky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just got a free month of HBO with our new cable provider and I have been watching so many movies that I missed! I'm afraid Netflix will have to wait till the month is over -- lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steviewren. I couldn't find a comment line on your previous blog. I wanted to tell you how much I admired your picture of the baby in the shell. Did you take this? Wonderful. Good on you too for admiring your offspring, and theirs. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like an excellent series. We'll have to check it out because of our great affection for British period pieces.

    I noticed one of the actress is a Redgrave. I wonder if that's one of "the" Redgrave family of America or just a coincidence. I'll have to google it for more info. Thanks! Have a wonderful day! ♥ ∞

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Stevie! I'll give it a go. (My Netflix queue is the longest ever!) This looks like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend told me about this series a few months ago..Once I'm finished with Monarch of the Glen I'll have to watch this one...Oh, wait a minute, I think I have another series before this one..Hum...That netflix queue is really getting long....

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to your comments. As Dr. Fraser Crane would say, "Hello, I'm listening."